To make an atom:
Materials needed: Thin wire, skittles (three different colors), hot glue, string and a label
- From the periodic table, each student chose an atom and then decided how many protons, neutron, and electron were needed to make the atom.
- We then took a piece of wire and strung the right number of protons (use one color of skittles) and neutrons (use another color of skittles) together to make the nucleus.
- Next, we made our shells of electrons by stringing the third color of skittles on the wires. We made sure the right numbers of electrons were on each shell.
- We hot glued the skittles around the wire for the shells.
- We strung the nucleus and the shells of electrons together and hung a label with the name of the atom at the bottom.
- Then we hung them around the room .
Click here to see our atoms
Back to Atoms