Teacher: Mrs. Mary Jones
American society has a need for trained, ethical leaders. The Leadership Class offers students the opportunity to work with their peers and adults in a setting that offers real life experiences and gives them the support and training necessary to deal effectively with those experiences.
The students in this course will have the opportunity to increase their understanding and/or effectiveness in the following processes:
- Leadership: Help the group to define a common purpose and to work together effectively to achieve it. Become aware of leadership styles and effectively exercise appropriate leadership roles in various situations.
- Meeting Skills & Parliamentary Procedure: Become aware of and correctly conduct meetings using parliamentary procedure.
- Group Dynamics & Team Building: Develop common identity, common purpose and common goals.
- Problem Solving: Making decisions in order to reason through life situations, to solve problems and to modify behavior.
- Motivation: Understand what makes people participate in groups and the rewards they seek as a group member.
- Goal Setting: Be able to define individual and group goals in a clear, precise way. Set specific, realistic goals, which are attainable and feasible, but challenging.
- Communication: Become an effective leader by communicating effectively and persuasively in interpersonal communications, communicating in group settings and in public relations. Become aware of the importance of listening.
- Community/Civic Responsibility: Choose projects that are consistent with the group's purposes and within its ability. Set specific purposes and goals; plan, carry out and evaluate each project.
Click Here to See Pictures of the Leadership Class
Back to Speech
Faculty and Courses
Back to High School Home Page