Interview with Kaci Gregory Miller - Vice-President and member of the Class of 1990
Topic-Weekend fun in 1990:
Question-What were the happening things to do in 1990?
- "On the weekends we went to town, and went on the drag, and parked at the bank parking lot."
- "During the summer break, almost everyone in the whole class would jump over the fence at the [Earth Swimming] pool and swim, and when someone drove by, everyone would duck their heads under water."
- "Some of the guys in her class went and bought an old red car for about $100. They cut the top of it off, and called it the "Ram Car." The "Ram Car" was everyone's car, and everyone used it as a dune buggy."
Examples of other events for the weekends:
Everyone went on the drag. It was where everyone would see each other. They'd meet at the bank parking lot and decide what they were going to do for the night.
Every year, Kaci and all the other adventurous kids would get a group of freshmen and take them "Snipe Hunting." They would give every freshman a brown paper bag and a stick. They would take them out in the middle of a field and make them look for a "snipe. " What all the freshman didn't know was that there was no such thing as a snipe. After the freshman had been in field for over an hour or so, Kaci and the others would go get them and tell them the whole prank.
During the winter, when it actually snowed, everyone who had four wheelers or three wheelers would go to the school and ride around the campus. They would tie a rope to the back of the four wheeler, or three wheeler, and attach the rope to a huge dish. About two or three people would get on the dish, and the person driving the four wheeler /three wheeler would take off and drag them around the campus, until they all fell off.
Topic-School in 1990's:
Question-Comparing high school now to high school in 1990, what was different?
- "When I was in school, we didn't have ISS [In School Suspension], we got swats and went on our merry little way."
- "Our class was close. If someone was having a party, everyone would go, and those who didn't drink would also go, just to hang out with everyone else in the class."
- "We didn't have to drink and do drugs to have fun. We did other things, like going to the gym every Sunday and playing basketball with family, friends, and classmates. We made going to the gym a community activity that everyone enjoyed doing."
- " Our prom was held at the Frito-Lay Building at Springlake, and everyone joined in and decorated for a week or more and had fun doing it. All the juniors and seniors would help and get the building to look good. It was a time when everyone worked together to get something done and had fun while doing it."
Question-What was something special your class did at graduation?
- "During graduation, we presented family and friends with a rose."
- "We had a slide show, with a few pictures of everyone in the class."
- "After graduation, we didn't paint roads like classes do today. We all went and hung out at the bank parking lot, and later went to party together."
Topic-Other memories of 1990:
Question-What was your favorite young adult memory?
- "College was my favorite or best memory, because everything is different. You're a little more mature, and the friends that you meet in college will be your friends for life."
- "My favorite high school memory is being the Wolverine mascot. I was the center of attention, and I loved it."
- "When I was mascot, I got up in the stands and made everyone stand up and yell for our guys. Back then I would get behind the referees and yell, even though it was hard for them to hear me, but that was so much fun, and it made me enjoy high school more."
- "Football season was the best time of high school. Everyone loved going to the games and cheering on the guys."
Special Thanks-I would like to give Kaci Gregory Miller a special thank you for sharing all of your great memories with me. You are such a wonderful and fun person to talk to; thank you for your cooperation and time that you gave me. You're a great inspiration to all, and I wish you and your family the very best of luck. Thanks again.
| Next to 1990's Trends, Facts, and Fads | Back to Class of 1990 | Back to 1980's | Back to High School Home Page